April 12, 2022
Class Action Lawsuits Exploding In The USA For Failure To Reimburse For BYOD & Will Explode Globally
Summary of article :
- A rise in employee lawsuits demanding reimbursement for expenses incurred while working from home during the pandemic.
- Home expenses such as telephone and internet fees, extra energy to heat or cool a house and office supplies can add up to $50 to $200 a month per employee, according to more than a dozen lawsuits examined by The Times.
- In a poll of nearly 6,000 workers by the Pew Research Center, 71% of those employees with jobs that could be done at home were working from home all or most of the time in the fall of 2020. In contrast, 23% of those workers said they teleworked frequently before the coronavirus outbreak.
- Once workers were sent home en masse, employers were much more likely to pay for home office equipment, such as computers, according to a survey of 10,000 Americans directed by Stanford economics professor Nicholas Bloom. But less than 10% of employers reimbursed workers for costs such as new furniture or internet fees, he said.
- Article Source : https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2022-04-07/...
We first reported on this trend in November of 2019 before the pandemic started.
We then reiterated in late 2020 that this would only get worse with the pandemic and the acceleration of BYOD that was being reported to us at the executive level in all Telcos globally (EVP/President & SVP level) : https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activi...
If you are one of the B2B Sales People/Sales Leaders that we have trained please check the Sales Training Deck we presented and note the date of the sales training.
Looks like things have become a lot worse.
For those that think that this is limited to the US and is a US Centric/Culture reality…. Think again….
Would you characterize the US as being more or less socialist in nature/scope than Canada or the EU?
How would you characterize the following facts :
24 US states representing 170m Americans (not just crazy California) have passed labour law legislation mandating Cellphone reimbursement : https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activi...
What if we told you that many Eurozone Countries have already passed and passing similar legislation but that the EU is actually SLOWER than these 24 US states : https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activi...
For our Canadian audience… Can you think of any trends in the wireless industry that didn’t come to Canada if they originated out of the US or Europe?
What about our colleagues in : Singapore, Australia, New Zealand …
Question for you : Are you seeing increased trends in your country/state/province that speak to things like : Gig Workers rights, Employee Rights, Right to Disconnect, increased protections for labour in general, increases in minimum wages?
These trends are occurring even in conservative led governments at the local/state/provincial and national/federal level.
We are ahead of the curve once again in predicting this and understanding what the trends are and why.
Some interesting facts :
75% of employees never want to go back to an office Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm : https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activi...
On average employees wish to work 3.5 days per week at home : https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activi...
90% of employees surveyed feel that they should be reimbursed for the business use of their personal IT assets : https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activi...
59% of all employees surveyed get neither a cellphone nor reimbursement for BYOD : https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activi...
80% of all employees surveyed get neither Home Internet provided for them nor reimbursed : https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activi...
Our solutions are all about fairness :
- Fairness for the employer
- Fairness for the employee
- Fairness for the gig worker/contractor/freelancer
- Fairness for the tax payer
30 Second Explainer Videos On How We Lower Costs For Employees/Gig Workers & Employers :
Employee WFH / BYOD Reimbursement : https://lnkd.in/dvdupVwz
Employer WFH / BYOD Cost Savings : https://lnkd.in/dZ3wU9bW
Carrying 2 Phones? Save $1,500 Annually On Cell Bills : https://lnkd.in/gCZXXXSM
Employee & Employer Cost Sharing For Win/Win : https://lnkd.in/grWgF8Tp
Smartphone Tax Deduction Changes For US Gig Workers : https://lnkd.in/ggAfRWhc
Smartphone Tax Deduction Changes For Canadian Gig Workers : https://lnkd.in/gHFXa5nC
Smartphone Tax Deduction Changes For Australian Gig Workers : https://lnkd.in/geT95ZTM
Non-Canadian Employee & Gig Worker tax deduction : https://lnkd.in/gD5eEke
Smartphone global tax trends : https://lnkd.in/dbvArumkBack