February 03, 2023
Statistics Canada Thinks There Are 286,000 Gig Drivers In Canada
The title of the article that we use is intentional.... The key word is "thinks".
As we have previously reported, we believe Statistics Canada continues to have very large issues with their Data Sets and how they are tracking numbers in general. It is widely known on Bay Street and Wall Street that the data sets around Labour Statistics and Employment Statistics is monumentally inaccurate.
We believe this playing out once again in this new data set that Statistics Canada only just started tracking in a meaningful way.
As those that track us know we've had our finger on the pulse of the Gig Economy for quite sometime and is evidenced by the partnership we have announced with SkipTheDishes (Canada's largest Gig Driver company) : https://www.linkedin.com/posts/thomdamstra_innovat...
You would expect we might have an idea as to the number of Gig Drivers that Skip has as a result of that partnership...
Our math indicates that the number of Canadians that derive some or all of their income from the Gig Economy as a Driver is orders of magnitude larger.
What is clearly self evident is that there is global coordination to track the number of Gig Workers as evidenced by :
"To ensure that new forms of employment are fully captured in the concepts and definitions used by the Labour Force Survey (LFS),
Statistics Canada has worked with international counterparts and the
United Nations Economic Commission for Europe to produce the Handbook on Forms of Employment."
We have commented on a number of occasions that there is strong evidence of OECD/G-20 coordination on the topic of Smartphone Taxation and other tax matters.
You can see our take on what we think the size of the Canadian Gig Economy was in 2016 : https://www.mobilityview.com/media/related-links/w...
Our belief is that US Statistics are considerably more accurate and using the standard "Canada is one tenth the size of the US" one might reasonably continue to question Statistics Canada data accuracy when taking into account :
- 57 Million Americans were in the Gig Economy in 2018 according to Forbes
- Intuit said in 2017 that 34% of the ENTIRE US Labour force derived some or all of their income from the Gig Economy
- JP Morgan, McKinsey and Goldman Sachs (took Uber and Lyft public) said there were 59 million Americans in the Gig Economy in 2018
Get $3,000 To $6,000 In Retroactive Tax Deductions As A Canadian Gig Worker
Save $1,500 / Year By Not Carrying 2 Smartphones (Business & Personal) :
Get Up To A $1,000 Tax Deduction Per Year
Keep Yourself On The Right Side Of A CRA AuditFree Trial (Promo Code : Website10) : https://www.mobilityview.com/contact/direct-trial
Our Mobile Cost Management (MCM) Solution :
- 70% More cost effective than a Stipend for Smartphone Reimbursement
- 75% More cost effective than a Company provided phone
- Keeps companies labour law and tax law compliant
- Protects companies against class action lawsuits by their employees for failure to reimburse or adequately reimburse
- Keeps employees reimbursed & happy in a tax efficient lower cost way than a stipend or company provided phone
- Aligns your smartphone reimbursement policy to your mileage reimbursement policy. Tax authorities globally have required a mileage book for years and now require a "mileage book for connectivity costs" denoting the business vs. personal usage & cost
30 Second Explainer Videos On How We Lower Costs For Employees/Gig Workers & Employers :
Tax Deduction Changes For US Gig Workers : https://lnkd.in/ggAfRWhc
Tax Deduction Changes For Canadian Gig Workers : https://lnkd.in/gHFXa5nC
Tax Deduction Changes For Australian Gig Workers : https://lnkd.in/geT95ZTM
Get $30 to $80 / Month Tax Free In The Form Of Reimbursement Or Tax Deduction : https://lnkd.in/gQzB8ujxSmartphone global tax trends : https://lnkd.in/dbvArumk
Article Sources :
- Statistics Canada Survey For 2016 Gig Workers :https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/45-28-0001/2020001/article/00021-eng.ht
- Forbes 57 Million Americans were in the Gig Economy in 2018 : https://www.forbes.com/sites/tjmccue/2018/08/31/57...
- Intuit : https://www.linkedin.com/posts/thomdamstra_tax-tax...
- 59 Million Americans in the Gig Economy in 2019 (36% Entire US Labour Force) : https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activi..