October 31, 2022
The BYOD California Ruling In 2014 Was The Match That Started The Fire Of WFH Reimbursement
We accurately predicted in September of 2014 that the Supreme Court of California Ruling in Cochran v. Schwan's Home Service would go national and that Class Action Lawsuits would result.
You’ll see in the reporting on this topic that no one was talking about the precedent for voice that had effectively been also set for Data Costs… What no one has talked about either is the impact for hardware costs.
A SIM card or ESIM is completely worthless without a Smartphone.
An argument can also be made that a Smartphone without an a SIM or ESIM is also equally worthless in a mobile setting.
In order to get the mobile experience a Smartphone and a Wireless Plan is required and when you add the two costs together you are talking about $80 to $120 / month total cost.
170m Americans in 24 US states are now required under new labour laws at the state level to be reimbursed : https://lnkd.in/gb-9UDEV
We’ve named a list of 11 of the 24 US States here : https://lnkd.in/eQRJASkc
The Stats Are Shocking But True :
1. 90% of employees surveyed feel that they should be reimbursed for the business use of their personal IT assets : https://lnkd.in/gqYCyR-k
2. 85% of employees surveyed in used their Personal IT assets in 2021 for business purposes : https://lnkd.in/gK-F38qE
3. 59% of all employees surveyed get neither a cellphone nor reimbursement for BYOD : https://lnkd.in/gaz36TT9
4. 80% of all employees surveyed get neither Home Internet provided for them nor reimbursed : https://lnkd.in/gaz36TT9
5. 58% Of Americans Are Living Paycheck To Paycheck : https://lnkd.in/eWq_vrwM
As we predicted in 2014 the Class Action lawsuits started before the pandemic and have only got worse :
1. Before the pandemic and WFH started - Class action lawsuits for failure to adequately reimburse employees for BYOD and Smartphone costs were spiking : https://lnkd.in/gHibc2Re
2. Class action lawsuits now off the charts (LA Times) due to failure to adequately reimburse for WFH and BYOD Smartphone Costs : https://lnkd.in/g8y5zenC
3. Amazon Loses Request To Dismiss Class Action Lawsuit For Failure To Reimburse For Work From Home Connectivity Costs : https://lnkd.in/ewGqkFgc
Our Mobile Cost Management (MCM) solution :
1. 70% more cost effective than a Stipend for Smartphone Reimbursement or a company provided phone & plan
2. Keep companies labour law and tax law compliant & eliminate the possibility of a class action lawsuit
3. Keep employees reimbursed & happy in a tax efficient lower cost way than a stipend or a company provided phone & plan
4. Align your smartphone reimbursement policy to your mileage reimbursement policy. IRS has required a mileage book for years and now require a “mileage book for connectivity costs.”
30 Second Explainer Videos :
Employee WFH / BYOD Reimbursement : https://lnkd.in/dCXNbXqQ
Employer WFH / BYOD Cost Savings : https://lnkd.in/dZ3wU9bW
Carrying 2 Phones? Save $1,500 Annually On Cell Bills : https://lnkd.in/duqD-mfX
Employee & Employer Cost Sharing For Win/Win : https://lnkd.in/gwWB6pYi
Canadian Gig Workers : https://lnkd.in/ehVufvpT
US Gig Workers : https://lnkd.in/gj-2jmqy
Australian Gig Workers : https://lnkd.in/geT95ZTM
Gig Worker & Employee Tax Deduction/Reimbursement For Previous Years : https://lnkd.in/dG5MPP3X
Canadian employee tax deduction : https://lnkd.in/eZiAnDTJ
Non-Canadian Employee & Gig Worker tax deduction : https://lnkd.in/gD5eEke
Smartphone global tax trends : https://lnkd.in/dbvArumk